|We believe that children's lives change when their natural passion for learning is nurtured and transformed into habits of life-long learning and reflection. We believe that the world changes as these children learn to serve country and community with wisdom, conviction, and compassion. |
In light of these beliefs,
We serve students of talent and character, offering them an education that broadens their perspectives, sharpens their minds, strengthens their bodies, and engages their hearts.
We commit to creating a caring, inclusive, and just community, using the geography and culture of our home in the Southwest to enrich our educational programs and to foster creativity, personal balance, and a connection to the natural world.
We devote our resources to ensure economic accessibility to our students and to support the wider community through outreach and community service.
We entrust this mission to our graduates and successors as we preserve our resources and serve the generations of children to come.
The Academy Today
About Our Mission
Here, all around us on campus, in the lives of our community members, and on this web site, is the story of a school that believes in the American Dream — the notion that, through access to education, a student can grow to find success and make a difference in the world. I’m glad you are visiting our web site and hope, if you are new to the Academy, that you explore it in depth, with curiosity, and come to share in our marvel at the events and people that make this such a unique community.
While visiting our site, you might want to investigate:
- Academic opportunities of remarkable scope and excellence. You will find stories of experiential and outdoor education, deep academic excellence, and signature programs. You will also see that our global exchanges and languages and our burgeoning sustainability initiatives are closely attuned to our changing world.
- Programs that make the student experience here one of the broadest in independent education. Our students aren't just academicians, artists, and athletes. They are also activists, outdoor enthusiasts, journalists, orators and debaters, and national competitors in academic extracurricular activities. There is a role for everyone and a need for leadership of our student programs throughout campus.
- Student, faculty, and staff accomplishments that regularly affirm our national excellence and/or symbolize our strong commitment to equity, justice, and outreach.
- Our unique admission process and generous (again, at a national level) financial aid program. These programs are committed to providing access to the Academy for students of talent and character from throughout the city, region, and (at times) country as they seek an enriched and meaningful educational experience.
- Details about our outreach programs and campus events. Our evening Community Academy lectures and concerts, Charger Aquatics program, Summer Session, and artistic, athletic, and volunteer events on campus all exemplify our community outreach and belief in life-long learning.
While we hope to capture as much of the Academy as we can through these web pages, a newcomer to the Academy probably needs to experience the essential feeling on campus in person, over time. The sense that a student here is part of something that matters, that learning and living among motivated peers is fun, and that forming life-long bonds with friends and teachers is something to be cherished. These qualities are basic aspects of our mission and what we stand for, and bring to life the ways in which we make a difference in families, in our community, and in the national educational discussion.
So, dig in and enjoy, whether you are a newcomer thinking about joining us as a student or employee, or a long-time community member catching up with the school you love and support through your volunteerism or philanthropy. I hope that your experience on this site and around the school will match the enjoyment we all experience here as we serve this extraordinary mission.Andrew T. Watson, Head of School