The early decision option is primarily designed to benefit families for whom Albuquerque Academy is their top educational choice. Many families who choose the early decision option are included in, but are not limited to, the following categories*:
- Families with currently enrolled Academy students in grades 6-12 or whose older children have graduated from the Academy
- Previous admittees and participants in the Multicultural Summer Honors Program
- Previous attendees of Think Academy Summer
- Previous applicants
- Out-of-state applicants
- Academy employees
- New this year: any family for whom Albuquerque Academy is their top educational choice
While we do not restrict early-decision applicants to Albuquerque Academy from applying to other schools for regular decision, we do ask that your child does not apply for an early decision at another school in the Albuquerque area.
Dates, deadlines, and fees for the early-decision option
- November 1, 2020: Teacher-recommendation form link available (linked in your Ravenna child’s application)
- November 20, 2020: Early-decision application form submission deadline
- December 5, 2020: Last day for early-decision testing
- December 7, 2020: Application materials** deadline (including tuition-assistance application and supporting materials, if tuition assistance is requested)
- January 21, 2021: Early-decision notification date (includes tuition-assistance notification)
- January 28, 2021 at noon: Enrollment contract submission deadline
Application fees are $65 except for families with children currently enrolled at the Academy and families who request and receive a waiver through our tuition assistance office .
Some of the benefits of applying for early decision
- An early decision alleviates some of the uncertainty and inconvenience of multiple applications if the Academy is the family’s top educational choice.
- It allows families time between the decision notification from Albuquerque Academy and the application deadline of other independent schools should they need to explore other educational options.
Important to Understand:
- Early-decision applicants are not guaranteed admission; however, we find that siblings and children of families who are involved in the Academy community often are an excellent match for our program.
- Admission committees consider applicant files holistically, and the integrity of the admission process and our admission standards will remain the same for both early and regular decisions.
- Applicants who elect not to pursue early decisions will not be penalized and still will receive thoughtful consideration for admission and tuition assistance (if applicable) within the regular decision cycle.
- Applicants electing an early-decision option must take admission testing through Albuquerque Academy or must take the SSAT or the ISEE before December 7, 2020. Unfortunately, applicants unable to complete admission testing by December 2020 for any reason will not be considered for early decision due to the constraints of file processing, scoring exams, and evaluating his/her file within a compressed time frame. (Sorry, no exceptions.)
- The applicant family is responsible for ensuring that all materials have been submitted by the relevant deadlines.
- Decision Outcomes: Applicants for early decision who are not offered early admission will be given a “deny” or “defer” decision.
- Early-decision candidates who are deferred may be offered an available spot any time between January and the August start of school in August 2021.
- In order to receive an early-decision notification, an Academy family’s current FACTS tuition-payment account must be current and in good standing.
*We reserve the right to verify participation in the qualifying categories.
**Application materials are: application, fee or fee waiver, photo, three years worth of transcripts (complete report cards for prior two grades and at least one official marking period of grades for current grade), interview, current teacher recommendations (English and math), and admission testing.