Albuquerque Academy understands that many families wish for their children to have the benefit of educational continuity and excellence. For the 2019-20 admission season (entry in fall 2020), we have adopted an early-decision option for children of:
- Families with currently enrolled Academy students in grades 6-12 or whose older children have graduated from the Academy,
- Out-of-state applicants, and
- Academy employees.
Additionally, we will offer the early-decision option to children who have participated in our current-year Think Academy community-focused programs, including:
- 2018 or 2019 Multicultural Summer Honors Program graduates*, and
- 2019 Think Academy Summer and ThinkIt! participants.**
The early-decision option is primarily designed to benefit families for whom Albuquerque Academy is their top educational choice. Because we value families connected to Albuquerque Academy, all in-state applicants in the above categories will receive a waived application fee regardless of which application timeline they choose (early decision vs. regular). Out-of-state applicants and off-cycle applicants (i.e., those who apply between February 1 and the start of school in August) will pay a $100 application fee.
Some of the Benefits of Application for Early Decision:
- An early-decision alleviates some of the uncertainty and inconvenience of multiple applications if the Academy is the family’s top educational choice.
- It allows families time between the decision notification from Albuquerque Academy and the application deadline of other independent schools should they need to explore other educational options.
Important to Understand:
- Early-decision applicants are not guaranteed admission; however, we find that children of families who are involved in the Academy community often are an excellent match for our program.
- Admission committees consider applicant files holistically, and the integrity of the admission process and our admission standards will remain the same for both early and regular decisions.
- Applicants who elect not to pursue early decisions still will receive thoughtful consideration for admission within the regular decision cycle.
- Applicants electing an early-decision option must take the December 7, 2019 admission testing at Albuquerque Academy or must take the SSAT or the ISEE before December 9, 2019. Unfortunately, applicants unable to complete admission testing by December 2019 for any reason will not be considered for early decision due to the constraints of file processing, scoring exams, and evaluating his/her file within a compressed time frame. (Sorry, no exceptions.)
- In order for an applicant to be considered for early decision, the Admission Office must receive a complete applicant file by December 9, 2019. (Sorry, no exceptions.)
- The applicant family is responsible for ensuring that all materials have been submitted by the deadline.
- Decision Outcomes: Applicants for early decision who are not offered early admission will be given a “deny” or “wait pool” decision. Early-decision wait pool candidates may be offered an available spot any time between January and the August start of school.
- In order to receive an early-decision notification, a family’s current tuition-payment account must be current and in good standing.
*Participation will be verified through the Think Academy office.
**A complete applicant file includes: application, fee or fee waiver, photo, 3 years of transcripts (complete report cards for grades 3 and 4, and at least one official marking period of grades for current grade 5), interview, current teacher recommendations, and admission tests.