We recognize that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Non-binary, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual students face unique challenges, and it is our job to speak up as advocates. We believe that a supportive environment for LGBTQIA+ students should include a supportive environment for all LGBTQIA+ community members, including faculty, staff and parents.
Our overall goal is ensuring the ability of LGBTQIA+ people to thrive in the Albuquerque Academy community. First, we recognize that the responsibility for determining a student’s gender and/or sexual identity rests solely with the student. Actively listening to students and other members of the Academy LGBTQIA+ community is our starting point. Second, we look to educate ourselves about LGBTQIA+ identities and gender-inclusive language. Third, we plan to promote more affirming spaces and team up with the others within the community to foster a community where diversity is celebrated. Finally, we recognize that members of Academy’s LGBTQIA+ community also have other marginalized identities that create obstacles to thriving in our community. Our goal is to be mindful of our multiple identities in addressing equity and inclusion in our community. As allies, friends, and parents of LGBTQIA+ Academy, we are committed to the academic and socio-emotional development of all students at Academy.
For more information about this council, please contact Chair Cynthia Suchomel.
- The Trevor Project is a national organization that focuses on crisis intervention for LGBTQIA+ youth. They also provide trainings for professionals who work with youth.
- Trevor Project – Coming Out: A Handbook for LGBTQ Young People
- Pronouns – Why do they matter?
Fall 2021 Meetings
Location: Simms Library
- Wednesday, August 25 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 22 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 27 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 17 at 6 p.m.