Five Albuquerque Academy students were recognized in the 2018 New Mexico District 1 Congressional Art Competition, a nationwide high school visual art competition sponsored by the Congressional Institute. Before the Bells, a painting by Savina Romero ’18 received the Congressional Art Award and will be displayed in the halls of the U.S. Capitol for one year.
Four other pieces by Academy art students also received recognition:
- Ryan Kosick ’20 received a Judges Choice award for A Ghost in a House.
- Maggie Mazer ‘20 received a Judges Choice award for Iris.
- Melinda Modisette ‘21 received a Judges Choice award for Van Gogh and I.
- Savina Romero ‘18 received a Judges Choice award for Veiled.
- Elana Jane Wallach ‘19 received a Judges Choice award for Evelyn’s Hand.
To be considered for this prestigious award, students submit their entries to the state representative’s office, and a panel of district artists then select the winning entries. This year, more than 270 entries were received.